Friday 13 June 2014

Alex McE- Painting better Baddies- eventually!

Alex McE is back, this time with a whole lot of painted Insurgents. He has adopted a few bright colour schemes, a lovely deep red which he has used as the symbol for his band of fighters. Anyway, over to Alex....

Lesson: it takes a gentle reminder from Pooch and a quiet weekend for me to finally break radio silence. It’s not been a great few months in real world for me and a lot of things – notably my hobby time – haven’t been as productive as I would have liked.

That aside, this has taken too damn long! Without further ado – baddies!


Here’s my Warlord and his buddy with an RPG. Everyone knows RPG warheads are red right? (I have seen some in strange colours, so sure, why not red- Ed) The Warlord is rocking mirror shades, a red beret and an ANP uniform.


Next up are the support weapons. I totally dig the dude in the baseball cap with his RPG17. Football team emblem still to be done!


Then the grunts – these are the guys rocking good old fashioned assault rifles and who are just all style, all the time.


In the penultimate photo my favourites – the dudes in Type 99 Chinese Marine Camo. I’m super happy with these ones – more than any of the others and the guy in the bandana is just rocking his fashion choice. (It is just an odd looking colour palatte isn't it?- Ed)


Lastly, the one figure in this collection I really don’t like. But it’s okay, because if the nice people at Empress are going to sculpt you wearing a dorky tracksuit then I am pleased to oblige. Someone didn’t get the “best camouflage gear” memo:


In terms of the colour palettes – if anyone wants to know I’m happy to share. My crappy cellphone pics and pretend lightbox on top of the fridge don’t work that well when the ambient light in the house is as bad as it was on Sunday night

As far as the models go, they’re really nice. It’s an interesting combination of weapons and I love the little details – most are wearing webbing and they’re generally well posed. I’m not crazy on their faces but in this group of models, that’s not such an issue.

And now? I get stuck into the 17 conventional Taliban sitting on my painting table that are based and awaiting a day that isn’t freakishly cold and damp in my basement so I can prime them!

So the Insurgency is going well for you then Alex! I do love the brightness of the red, and how it contrasts with all the other more traditional dull military tones. That being said, the Chinese camo is just such an odd base colour, I can't quite get my head around it. And the tracksuit wearer, just screams Russian mafia from a Guy Ritchie film. At least you didn't give him a Pink Kappa tracksuit!

6 comments:

  1. Nice job. I actually love the tracksuit guy

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it, putting the fun into fundamentalists :) the guy in the track suit is cracking :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, the guy in the tracksuit is definitely my favorite!

      Delete
  3. And you'll get to see them in the flesh, as it were, at Call to Arms as I've just confirmed it into the calendar. Now to paint my Aussie SAS AND finish up the 17 Terries. Crikey. Best get to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic- Tracksuit guy will be a star performer, I know it!

      Just a little bit of painting planned then?

      Delete
  4. Isn't the cold blooded killer in "Behind Enemy Lines" wearing a tracksuit? So its historically correct, right?
    I think they all look great!

    ReplyDelete